Friday, March 31, 2006

And Our Survey Said...

Every now and again I receive an email in my inbox from Ciao, asking if I’d like to earn £1.04 by taking part in a new and interesting survey on novelty socks. These surveys are rarely new and almost never interesting, but I persevere with them in the belief that completing enough will one day turn me into a multi-millionaire. I can almost hear the banter at society parties:

“You see him, over there? That’s Matt Cookson, he’s in surveys.”
“Really? What sort?”
“Themed footwear, mostly. But I hear he dabbles in confectionary and bathroom products.”
“Sounds like quite a guy. Fancy snorting some caviar?”


My current balance stands at around the £9.42 mark. This rather meagre performance is due largely to the qualifying questions one has to go through before being allowed to take part. I have learnt by now never to mention my journalistic endeavours (they really hate journalists) and marketing is well out too.

Having traversed these early stumbling blocks, you are then asked a series of demographics to make sure you fit their market. Stuff like ‘how many illegitimate children have you bastardised’ and ‘have you ever had sex with a squirrel’. Having finally made it through these, you’re home and dry. Or so you would have thought. The other day I spent ten minutes clicking on pictures of Polos, during which time the status bar reached the 60% complete mark, when I suddenly received a message saying "Sorry, but you are not suitable for this survey. Goodbye.”

Not fucking suitable? Know too much about Polos do I? Not good enough to suck your mint with a hole, huh? I quickly scribed an email to Ciao demanding my £1.04 and telling them I didn’t like being ripped off. They simply wrote back telling me that 60% of the questions were assessing my suitability to take part in the survey. Further investigation revealed that I would have only been suitable had I been a plate-spinner from Leeds called Nigel. I mean, I know they need to target a specific audience, but this is ridiculous.

Anyway, I’m going to have to let it rest there – a 54p survey on garden gnomes has just dropped into my inbox. High society here I come!

Technorati Tags: , ,

cookie-underline-large

3 Comments:

Blogger St Jude said...

I'm the plate spinner from Leeds, unfortunately, I'm a Nigella, not a Nigel. Ho hum.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never been to How the Cookie Crumbles before?

I'd like to welcome you to How the Cookie Crumbles…a webzine for Home Bakers, where you will find excellent recipes, baking hints, and sensible information on baking equipment and ingredients that make the process of baking from scratch easier and more fun. No heavy technical jargon, no confusing lingo. Just good advice and helpful information.

This site is dedicated to the joys of home baking. But just what, exactly, is a "home baker?" Home bakers have a passion for baking, or the strong desire to learn how to bake from scratch. And "from scratch" is the key to defining home baking. Real home bakers don't use mixes or canned frostings or store-bought baked goods. They understand that the soul of their efforts comes from using wholesome ingredients of the highest quality, and paying attention to detail. While it's true that anyone can learn to bake, not everyone understands there is a huge difference between package baking and home baking. This site is for those of you who know the difference. As we go along we'll be talking about baking a variety of items, both sweet and savory. Periodically I'll be adding additional cookie recipes, muffin recipes, biscuit recipes, cake recipes, filo pastry recipes, tart recipes, cobbler recipes, pie recipes and much more. (Each issue will have a different theme.) These are all from-scratch recipes using wholesome, quality ingredients. All of the recipes you find in this site have been personally developed and thoroughly tested, so you can count on them to be delicious and successful. Most of the recipes are truly easy to make, so don’t feel you need to be a professional pastry chef to use this site. You just need to be a passionate Home Baker.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Hi Gordon - didn't we used to go to school together? Do you remember a guy called Anthony? Yes, that's right, he was a bender.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home